Sunday, October 16, 2011

7th July 2010 Dads 92 Birthday in Honiton



I started the day with a real cafe cooked English Breakfast. Just like I remembered it, including the Black Pudding. But first I had to face the receptionist! How had I got in without paying? Who gave me a key! how did this happen bah! I explained to the dragon that I had tried to follow process but it did little good. She looked rather put out that I had been told that she had been fired as she had only had the day off? I suspect somebody got a right shouting at later behind the scenes. It turns out that the young couple next door had also got a key without paying and had gone before she could charge them. However it seems that it was a fairly common event and she knew who they were and would catch them later. Having paid I was allowed to eat!
I went across to Dad’s next and was surprised to find everybody up at 08:30. We had some tea and then showered him with gifts. I had to reuse Gemma's wrapping as I had been unable to get any for mine but Dad did not seem to mind. Gemma gave him a painting of cats and I gave him a book about a country vet and 8 DVD’s and military history that might be interesting to him. He seemed pleased with them all including the truffles.



At about 12:30 we all set out for a short drive to a hotel. (http://www.lakeviewmanor.co.uk/ ) Its in a lovely location along side a small lake set in its own grounds. It was time to feed Dad again. I had a really nice cod and chips (impossible to get in NZ) and Dad had liver and bacon. They come here quite often and hence are known to the staff and know the menu. We of course made sure that it was accompanied with plenty of the local real English beer. The oldies all seemed to enjoy themselves with the normal amount of fussing about which they seem to have to do.


The desert included a cake with a sparkler in the middle of it rigged up by Gemma and Gill. Not 92 candles only 12. Then we went and took pictures on the lawn.
Back home for a rest to try and digest all the food and then it was time to eat again. Just a like meal of cold meats salads etc.
Gemma made the salads. I tried some of Dads wine but found it to be undrinkable. Then we did some more family stuff talking about various family members that were not present. Lauren's photo caused some comment as they all think she is very grown up and very much like Gill.
Then the oldies were tired so it was back to the motel for me.




Gemma and Dad!


No comments: